Monday, February 2, 2009

I Should of Remained a Child (Rondeau)

I should of remained a child
living an existence meticulously styled
tossing all my present anxieties away
sleeping peacefully throughout the day
never having to encounter this defiled
bed of torture, his contemptuous smile
leaving me alone until he’s become riled
than slapping me, whipping me when i disobey
i should of remained a child
understanding later how i was beguiled
foolishly captivated, lead to the wild
angry domain in which i now stay
shivering, depressed from this dismay,
disdain, hatred for myself, life compiled
i should of remained a child

© 2006 Erika G.

A Rondeau is a French form, 15 lines long, consisting of three stanzas: a quintet, a quatrain, and a  sestet with a rhyme scheme as follows: aabba aabR aabbaR. Lines 9 and 15 are short - a  refrain (R) consisting of a phrase taken from line one. The other lines are longer (but all of the  same metrical length).

No comments:

Post a Comment