Sunday, March 29, 2009

Waiting In the Shadows (Monotetra)


I stood in these shadows so long
Waiting to sing a telling song
of hopes and dreams gone way past wrong
I must stay strong, I must stay strong

I wonder how it feels to cry
The apple of my father’s eye
My mother warned me don’t you lie
I want to die, I want to die

It started with a simple dance
But then I tried fast to advance
Torrid affairs, hotel romance
I took a chance, I took a chance

Their treatment of me was unjust
To think of it brings back disgust
The world just used me for its lust
I’ll never trust, I’ll never trust

Things seem to be so grand at first
But never could I quench my thirst
Selling my soul to them was worst
Now I am cursed, now I am cursed

Here now I must reveal my shame
To save another with my name
So that she will keep from the flame
They call me fame, they call me fame


© 2006 Erika G.

The monotetra is a new poetic form developed by Michael Walker. Each stanza contains four lines 
in monorhyme. Each line is in tetrameter (four metrical feet) for a total of eight syllables. What makes 
the monotetra so powerful as a poetic form, is that the last line contains two metrical feet, repeated. 
It can have as few as one or two stanzas, or as many as desired.
Stanza Structure:
Line 1: 8 syllables; A1
Line 2: 8 syllables; A2
Line 3: 8 syllables; A3
Line 4: 4 syllables, repeated; A4, A4


No comments:

Post a Comment